Sunday 1 April 2012

Evaluation: How effective is the combination of your main and ancillary texts?


As the picture above illustrates, we have had a consistent location for our ancillary and main text. As we felt that the industrial boiler room setting helped represent the rough attitude of the rock-music genre, we incorporated it into both our texts helping form a synergetic relationship between the two; my research had shown me that advertisements for new music and musicians were part of a campaign and so forming this bond across different media-platforms was essential to maintain a degree of professionalism by using my research to follow the conventions of a real advertisement campaign. This re-occurrence of the same location helps it become a motif for the band's adverts, giving the audience some familiarity within each text.

Indeed, I wanted to maintain this familiarity between texts and so without using the exact same location for a third time, I instead used the backdrop of an urban wall for my magazine advertisement. I felt that the street art that was graffiti'd onto the wall coupled with the ominously absent lead-singer helped keep the urban and gritty mise-en-scene of the boiler room that was featured in both my album and music video. Indeed, the advert (left) itself shows an effective combination of my texts, as the advert not only promotes a fictional concert but also the release of the new album - my other ancillary text -in the bottom left corner. Similarly, I have also included on the poster the website for the band 'Paramore'; this single print advertisement therefore including references to other media-platforms that are part of the same campaign - it is this conventional synergetic arrangement that helps promote a strong and consistent campaign.

I have also used all of the conventional motifs that would be seen across a combination of media texts; I have maintained a consistency regarding logo, record company, credits etc. The record company 'Fueled By Ramen's black logo for example (below), is conventionally present across all of my print texts; again, to reinforce the fact that I've created a brand of products as opposed to a sole text. 

No comments:

Post a Comment